The Neapolitan Casatiello (Casatiello) is a leavened rustic bread typical of the Neapolitan tradition of the Easter period where in the last showcooking, chef Francesco Basco reproduced it but in the Vegan version.
Ingredients for dough :
- 1 kg Flour 0
- 600/650 g of water
- 50 g Extra virgin olive oil ( EVO )
- 10 g Brewer's yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 18 g Salt
Filling ingredients :
- any leftovers you have in the fridge
To get a good casatiello first of all you have to dedicate yourself to the dough:
- Crumble the brewer's yeast in a small bowl, add a teaspoon of sugar and start mixing until the yeast dissolves becoming practically liquid.
- Combine the yeast with the flour and pour about 200 g of water.
- Start kneading so that the first ingredients can begin to blend.
- Add the oil and gradually all the water available, making it absorb little by little. The dough will be very soft, almost as liquid as a batter.
- After 2-3 minutes, add the salt and let it work for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now the dough will start to take on a certain consistency.
- Cover with a wet tea towel and set aside to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Take the dough again and work for a minute, just long enough to give it strength again.
- Cover the bowl again for another 15 minutes.
- Take the dough again for the last kneading, knead for one more minute and cover it with plastic wrap, pierce with a knife and cover with the usual cloth.
- At this point let the dough rise until doubled, which in summer could correspond to about 1 hour of time and in winter something more.
- When the dough has doubled in size, roll it out onto a lightly oiled baking sheet and leave to rest for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut all the ingredients you want to insert into small pieces Casatiello, also with some cooked vegetables.
- After 30 minutes of rest, start working the dough by adding margarine and all the ingredients previously cut into small pieces.
- Continue to knead the dough so that the ingredients mix well.
- Grease a tall wheel with plenty of margarine and arrange the Casatiello adapting it to the shape of the container.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rise in the oven for another 2 hours.
- Once the leavening is finished. brush the surface of the Casatiello with more margarine and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160° for 10 minutes and then at 180° for about 1 hour.
- Cut and serve.
Recipe created and made by Francis Basque