Vegan Fish and Chips is one of the three recipes proposed by chef Francesco Basco during the show cooking of the "N&B in Cucina" project dedicated to Hemp-Fu.
- 1 block of Hemp-Fu
- 1 large sheet of Nori seaweed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50 g of flour 0
- 50 g cornmeal
- Pinch of salt
- 75ml of beer
- 75 ml of carbonated water
- About 1 liter of sunflower oil
- 4-5 medium potatoes
- Flour 0 (to sprinkle the potatoes)
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- First prepare the potatoes by washing them and cutting them into the desired shape. If you prefer, also leave the peel.
- Next, place the potatoes in a large pot covered with water. Add a pinch of salt, then bring them to medium heat. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes then drain. Boiling the potatoes helps keep them soft inside.
- Arrange the potatoes in a non-stick pan, sprinkle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, flour and thyme sprigs, then bake for around 25-30 minutes, until golden and crispy. If you prefer, fry the chips instead of cooking them in the oven.
- Now prepare the "fish" (the Hemp-Fu). Pour the sunflower oil into a saucepan or fryer. If using a saucepan, fill it only halfway to prevent it from overflowing when steeping the Hemp-Fu. Cut the block of Hemp-Fu into rectangles or fillets. Using scissors, cut the Nori sheet into pieces the same size as the Hemp-Fu fillets. Place the Nori seaweed on the Hemp-Fu and brush one side with lemon juice to make it stick.
- Then prepare the beer batter: combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, then pour in the beer and water. Mix until a thick batter is formed. Submerge the Hemp-Fu and wait for it to turn golden, then drain.
- Plated up with fries and fried fish-and-chips-style Hemp-Fu.
Recipe created and made by Francis Basque